1. The Fisher House is “a home away from home,” providing a comfortable, safe environment where families can come together to provide support to one another. The Fisher House is located on the West Palm Beach VA Healthcare System property and is available to families who meet eligibility criteria while they support a Veteran’s and Active Duty Service members inpatient receiving medical care..
2. The Fisher House provides temporary accommodations to families and Caregivers of hospitalized Veterans or Active Duty Service members. Families must meet the following eligibility requirements:
· 50 mile to the VA Medical Center
· Family member/caregiver of Veteran inpatient
· Actively engaged in the hospitalized Veteran/Service member’s treatment
· Medically stable and capable of self-care (or be accompanied by a caregiver); the Fisher House is not a clinical setting
· Independent and able to live in a communal setting
· Living in permanent, stable housing (guests cannot be homeless)
· Abides by the Fisher House Guest Agreement and all house rules
3. Families of Veterans should contact their Primary Care Social Worker for a referral to the Fisher House. Once the referral is received, Fisher House staff will call the family member to screen them for eligibility. If a room is available, a reservation will be made; if a room is not available, the family will be put on a waiting list and updated by the Fisher House staff once a room becomes available.
4. Active Duty Service members should contact the Fisher House Manager for availability. Please do not contact until 2 weeks prior to expected arrival or need for accommodations.
5. There is never a fee for eligible families who receive a reservation. Eligibility to remain at the Fisher House is dependent on the Veteran’s inpatient status. Once a Veterans is discharged from the Medical Center, the family must check out of the Fisher House.